Houpla is Houston’s largest Burning Man theme camp. Our camp specializes in introducing new burners to the playa and regional burns each year. We also place careful emphasis on introducing new burners to burner culture, particularly the Burning Man 10 Principles. We’re always interested in meeting new people and helping them have an excellent first burn. That said, veteran burners are also most welcome.
Besides Burning Man, we also attend several regional burns and camping events each year. Our 2018 event schedule includes:
- Unbroken Spring (Houston regional burn) in March
- Burning Flipside (Austin regional burn) in May
- Burning Man in August
- Texas Renaissance Festival in November
Art Projects and Camp Interactivity
Each year we spent time in the spring and summer working on art projects and gifts to provide to our fellow burners. Past projects include:
- An annually rebuilt Art Car
- A hoopla carnival game with 3D-printed and laser-cut necklaces
- A stickhorse equestrian course, complete with jumps and homemade stickhorses
- A large, hand-painted photo wall/cutout
- Lovely-made breakfast tacos provided daily on playa
Making Burning Man More Accessible
We help folks get sometimes hard-to-find tickets to Burning Man and regional events, host a variety of new-burner-type activities, publish packing lists for key gear, and make sure critical community infrastructure needed for new burners stays in place, particularly the Houston Burning Man Community Truck which transports gear to and from the playa.